Of all the rooms in your home, the kitchen might be the most daunting one to pack up. When it’s time to move, follow these four important steps to make packing your kitchen easy and stress-free!
- Get organized
- Double-tape the bottom of any cardboard boxes to support heavy items. Place a dish towel or some scrunched up packing paper at the bottom of each box to provide extra support for heavy dishes.
- Clearly label each box or bin, identifying not only the room it belongs to (kitchen), but also the contents of the box (pots and pans, mixing bowls, cutlery, etc.). You’ll be glad you did when you’re looking for your favourite coffee mug.
- Use special glass dividers that can be inserted into packing boxes to transport your stemware safely.
- Fill the empty space inside the boxes with dish towels and other linens in order to keep items from shifting and potentially getting damaged. They have to be packed anyway!
- Wrap your entire cutlery tray in packing paper or a table cloth and place it flat inside a box.
- Always wrap knives separately in paper or bubble wrap first and then in a dish towel. Place them on their side inside the box – never pointing up. And, be sure to clearly label this box.